So this whole project started over a year ago when I found out that I was going to be an aunt for the first time and I decided that I wanted to write a children’s book for my new nephew. If I had known then what I know now, I probably would have just knitted him a blanket and called it a day! But alas, hindsight is 20/20 and I went with the book option. Over a year later it is done! Whoo-hoo!!!! Well it’s in final review, and I’m counting my chickens a bit before they hatch, but at this point I figure I can handle anything they throw at me. So the final of my ten top ten lists to usher in the new year:
Top Ten Snafus Encountered While on the Road to Publishing
1. Found an awesome illustrator . . . lost an awesome illustrator.
2. Found another awesome illustrator . . . can’t afford awesome illustrator.
3. Fine, I’ll illustrate it myself . . . poor choice, poor choice, POOR CHOICE!!!!
4. Found an amazing artist . . . who usually draws nudes . . . maybe put some clothes on em?
5. According to my research we can make the illustrations whatever size we want . . . several months later . . . remember when I said we can make them any size we want? I was wrong. We need to go in and change the size of all 32 illustrations.
6. What do you mean the scanner is only big enough to scan half the illustration at once?
7. What do you mean the scanner dulled out all of the bright colors? I hate scanners!
8. “Wait, why does it say that?”
“That’s the text that you sent me.”
“Well that’s from two rewrites ago.”
” . . . wanna send me the current text?”
“Probably a good idea. Right on that!”
9. Wow, that file is way to big for the upload . . . tweak, tweak, tweak . . . that’s a little better . . . tweak, tweak, tweak . . . a little better . . . tweak, tweak, tweak . . . ah crap! Now it’s too small!
10. “Okay, take one final pass and then we’re done.”
“Wait, where’s all the punctuation?”
“That’s how you sent it to me.”
“Huh. Yeah, we’re gonna need to fix that.”